Wednesday, February 6, 2008
A good friend
Much of yesterday was well, just blah. I am struggling with Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka, depression) and some days are worse than others. Those of you who know me, know that I am a summer girl. My favorite months are June, July, and August. So for me, it is not just about the sun, although that's huge, but I also miss being warm. I even enjoy humidity. Call me crazy. You will never hear me complain about the weather in the summer. The only time I complain is when there are signs of it leaving. My friend, Becky, said that I sound like "Summer Sara" when I started working out at the gym (New Years resolution, of course). So, one would think, "working out is the key", and yes, it does help. A lot. But, only if you continue to work out. When I am feeling blah, I do not want to work out. I do not want to shower, get dressed, wear make up, clean my house, make dinner, go anywhere. I lounge. All day. I've gotten good at it. I mean what better excuse is there to stay inside than gray skies, snow drifts, wind, and temperatures hovering in the single digits. But, believe it or not, yesterday did improve. I decided I had had enough. Enough blah. I called my friend Becky because I have not seen her in way too long. I left a message on her cell phone. I invited her to come over after she picked her son up from morning kindergarten. During the wait, I started to secretly hope she wouldn't call back. After all, it is approaching lunchtime and I really didn't feel like getting out of my pj's. And, I was still sporting hair smelling of chlorine from my swim with the kids on Sunday. Yuck. It was nastiness all around. My kids don't even ever get this bad. Well, she did call. And she came. I shared my woes. I told her experiencing winter is like a best friend who moved away and isn't coming back. And then, this is beautiful. She is the same way. The whole deal. In other words, she's not cleaning her house either. Wow! We commiserated for a while. Then we took action. We talked about walking together. Even if there is snow on the ground (I have a baby jogger with the big wheels just for this reason!). This is why I believe, we need each other. We, being the human race. God didn't create man to be alone....you know the story. Pick up the phone, call a friend and make plans to get together. We all need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment