Thursday, February 5, 2009

christmas 2008

I thought about not doing the tree this year. I had a list of very good reasons, the biggest being that we were going to be in Minnesota for Christmas so if we were ever going to skip the tree this would be the year to do it. Then I realized my scrooginess and decided that we should get it before Thanksgiving for maximum enjoyment. The family scoured the woods behind our house and happened upon this beauty. Not long after, I heard the kids talking about their favorite things during the holidays, none of which was presents, mind you. They mentioned making cookies, listening to Christmas music, and yes, decorating the Christmas tree. This was a gentle reminder of me sometimes missing the bigger picture. I'm so glad I didn't do away with a tradition the kids hold so dear. And they reminded me of how much I really love these traditions too.

2 comments:

Jellybean said...

so true. The presents I've long forgotten, but I always remember my mom and I walking in our woods, taking turns with the axe and dragging (an inevitably five feet to long) very heavy tree back to the house.

Once my parents struggled to get it upright and strung with lights, we'd crank up the Vienna Choir Boys, spike our eggnog sprinkled with nutmeg and hang every ornament singing along to the record.

MeMa said...

Isn't wonderful, the memories we have!